Constipation: Home remedy
Here you will find Constipation: Home remedy, Have you ever felt difficulty in passing fecal matters? The condition is called constipation and it is so common that individual suffers at least once in their life. How painful it might be to those who suffer daily from constipation. If we don’t care today, it will create other bigger problems later. Gather all the information regarding constipation and its remedy at home.
Constipation is a medical condition where there is no movement of the bowel. Many of us don’t know it is not a disease. Medically, when there is no latrine for up to 3 days or less than 3 times per week, we can call it constipation. No latrine up to 2 days is normal but it can be chronic after 2 days.
Constipation can also be defined as passing hard and fragmented stools, painful and incomplete defecation.
What are the causes of constipation?
Constipation is a common condition at this age. Only in North America, 63 people are suffering from Constipation. The number is huge. People all around the world are suffering from constipation. It is not only the problem of developed countries as it is equally prevalent in developing countries too. They are suffering because of the following reasons.
- Lack of fiber-rich diet- We choose food for taste rather than for health. Junk foods, oily and spicy foods cause constipation. Meat, cheese, milk, and other dairy products don’t have fiber. Eating larger plates of such foods and smaller portions of fiber-rich can make constipated.
- Lack of sufficient water- Constipation is caused due to insufficient water. The water will be absorbed by the wall of the intestine making stool hard.
- Sedentary Lifestyles- We are all busy with our office work and other things. We spend most of our time at the desk of the office. We stay on Sofa and watch serial for hours without taking a break. There is no movement at all. We don’t want our bodies to suffer now. It suffers and hence can result in constipation.
- Some gastrointestinal disorders- Some gastrointestinal disorders can cause constipation.
- Pregnancy- One of the major complications of Pregnancy is Constipation. Not every woman suffers from constipation during her pregnancy.
- Medications – We take different medications for treating some disorders. Some of the medicines cause constipation as a side-effect. For example-Codeine, Aluminium salts, Levodopa, etc. They can be overcome by taking another medicine prescribed by the doctor or concerned health personnel.
What are the symptoms of constipation?
Every day lots of people complain about gastrointestinal disorders. The following symptoms lead you to know that you are suffering from constipation.
- No stool for up to 3 days or less than 3 bowel movements per week.
- Hard stool
- Blood in stool
- Need extra strain or need extra force
Also, read about Anxiety
What are the complications or other diseases as a consequence of constipation?
Constipation, itself is not a disease but it is a sign of internal disorder and many undiagnosed diseases. It is not as simple as we take. If we don’t treat and prevent timely, it will cause many diseases. Such diseases are as follows.
- Mental health deterioration- When a person suffers from constipation regularly, they are worried about their problems. They only think about it. They think about how to cure for days and nights. They stay inside the toilet for hours and hours. But the result is disappointing. They can’t do any other work properly if they are suffering from gastro disorders.
- Piles- Piles are a disease of the anus. It may be an internal or external part covering the anus. Harsh bleeding is the identity of piles. Sometimes it is painful and sometimes it is not. There is a subdivision of piles. It is common to many people. One of the main reasons for piles is constipation. So, if we want to avoid piles then constipation must be taken a little bit seriously.
- Anal Fisser- Fisser and piles are two different diseases. One can confuse as the symptoms are quite similar and their cause too. It is an internal or external tear in the anus.
What is the treatment of constipation?
There are different treatment methods available for treating constipation. The treatment is based on your basic to chronic level. The treatment is divided into mainly 4 categories.
- Bulk purgatives
- Bran- This is the first treatment that is supposed to do for every person who complains about constipation. If bran doesn’t work, you will be prescribed another treatment method. Bran is made up of undigestible and unabsorbable parts of fruits and vegetables. It absorbs water and increases content which forces feces outside.
Dose- For the proper result, take bran daily for at least 3 to 4 days. It is not good in taste but safe to eat.
- Psyllium and Ispaghula- It is made up of natural colloidal mucilage.
Dose- 3 to 8 grams of husk can be taken once or twice regularly. Mix refined Ispaghula with cold milk, fruit juice, or water. Time of action lasts up to 3 days.
- Methylcellulose- It is obtained from hydrophilic cellulose. It is semi-synthetic and remains unfermented in the colon.
Dose- 4 to 6 grams per day.
- Stool softener
- Docusate- It softens stools by the accumulation of water. It acts as a detergent. It disrupts the mucosal barrier and increases the absorption of non-absorbable drugs.
Dose- 100 to 400 mg per day and its time of action last up to 3 days.
- Liquid Paraffin- It is a mixture of petroleum hydrocarbon. It is a laxative. Due to its disadvantages, it is not preferred. It is used occasionally.
- Stimulant purgatives
They stimulate the motor activity of the colon. This type of treatment is contraindicated to pregnant and chronic intestinal obstruction patients.
- Bisacodyl- They irritate and cause inflammation in the mucosa. It increases the secretion of waste materials.
Dose- 5 to 15 mg. The amount of dose depends on the age.
- Sodium Picosulfate- Firstly, it is hydrolyzed by bacteria present in the colon. Then, local irritation occurs which leads to bowel movement.
Dose-5 to 10 mg at bedtime. Its time of action is only 6 to 12 hours only in oral intake.
Senna-Senna is a medicinal leaf. It cures constipation. The bacteria liberate active anthro in the colon. It stimulates waste materials.
Side-effects- Skin rashes and regular consumption can cause colonic atony and mucosal pigmentation.
- Prucalopride- It is a selective treatment for women when other laxative doesn’t work.
Dose- 2 mg OD
Side-effects- Headache, Dizziness, Diarrohea, Abdominal pain
- Castor oil- It is a vegetable oil obtained from seeds of Ricinus communis. It irritates mucosa and enhances peristalsis.
Dose- 5 to 15 ml for children and 15 to 25 ml for adults.
Due to severe health complications followed by Castor oil, it is not recommended by health personnel. It is listed as one of the top remedies in YouTube videos. Don’t consume castor oil just by looking at YouTube. It works but leads to other problems. Concerned with your doctor before using it.
- Osmotic purgatives
Unabsorbed solutes retain water osmotically in the small intestine. It distends the bowel increasing peristalsis.
Dose- 150 to 200 ml dissolved in water. It shows its action within 1 to 3 hours.
Lactulose- It is made from fructose and lactose. It retains water in the intestine. It is active osmotically in the colon.
Dose- 10 mg BD with adequate water. It shows its action from 1 to 3 days after consumption.
Who can’t use laxatives?
A laxative is not made for everyone. The other medications or health conditions keep some people to stay away from laxatives. The people who can’t use laxatives are as follows.
- The person suffering from abdominal pain, nausea, cramps, vomiting, ulcerative colitis.
- The patient has an obstruction in the bowel.
Do people abuse laxatives?
Yes, people abuse laxatives. They are medicines in small doses but act as a poison in large doses. People suffering from constipation suffer badly. It is better to take medicines than to avoid laxatives in the future. So they take it regularly and lastly they need to take it for the rest of their life. They become addictive.
The other reason why people use laxatives is to lose weight. After taking laxatives some of them evacuate body water and solid waste material deep from the intestine. When people weigh their number is less. Thus, they misuse laxatives.
It has some medical difficulties like hypokalemia, spastic colitis, Steatorrhoea, malabsorption syndrome, etc.
Note:- Consult your doctor before taking any medicine
Home remedy for constipation
We have seen the treatment of constipation in the medical house. There are many home remedies for constipation. The best home remedy solution is to eat plenty of fiber-rich foods especially green vegetables and fruits. Eat one bowl of vegetables twice daily and one to two apples or bananas. It relieves constipation naturally at home. Isn’t it good to eat healthy food to avoid constipation at home?
Constipation is just a starting point of other diseases. If we prevent it at the early stage, we will avoid many diseases. We must support our friends, colleagues, mother, father or relatives to eat healthy food. We must not make a joke if they want to eat green salads, fruits instead of Mo-mo, Pizza and Burger, etc. They may have or soon suffer from constipation. That may be the reason they are avoiding food from restaurants and bakeries. We must cooperate to live a long and healthy life.
Team UllU Home Page Click Here